History

Laying of Cornerstone, 1955
Laying of Cornerstone, 1955 – The building began as the Motherhouse for the Sisters of Mercy.

Mercy Conference and Retreat Center began our work in 1975 as a ministry of the former St. Louis Regional Community of the Sisters of Mercy. Housed in what had been the community’s motherhouse, novitiate, and junior college since the 1950s, the ministry focused on providing space and services for groups like Marriage Encounter.

Since 2008, Mercy Conference and Retreat Center has been an independent non-profit designated as a sponsored ministry by the Sisters of Mercy. In 2015, we celebrate 40 years of providing a tranquil environment of hospitality and healing in the tradition of Sisters of Mercy. In that time, hundreds of thousands of individuals have experienced God in this sacred space. They have found here a holy ground rich with the presence of all the Sisters of Mercy and brother and sister retreatants before them.